My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN, United States

Friday, November 11, 2005

One thumb way up...my ass!

Hello fellow movie buffs and what nots. It was requested that I review a certain Halloween flick that has recently graced our silver screens: SAW II.

It was alright.

That's it. Enjoy the movie.


Ha ha, just kidding. I'll get a little bit more into it here. Unfortunately, you can never see a sequal without comparing it to it's kick-ass big brother that started it all. Like any other sequal (Terminator 2 and Empire and Jedi aside) SAW II just wasn't as good as the first. I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I only paid $5.50 to see it. They didn't try to make up for a lack of story by adding hella gore like most horror sequals do, but it did present a lot of really cool ideas that never got developed...at all...and that really pisses me off! I hate it when movies focus on this really cool idea to get the audience thinking and then just drop it by saying, "Oh yeah, that was just a distraction so you wouldn't know what was really going on. Yeah, that totally had absolutely nothing to do with the movie. That would've been cool if it did though, huh?" Fucking idiots!

Nobody knew what was going on. Congratulations! You surprised at the end once again. Except this time it wasn't nearly as FREAKIN' AWESOME as the first one. The first SAW's ending not only came out of nowhere, but just blew my freakin' mind. SAW II's ending I also didn't see coming, but when it arrived I just thought, "Hmm. Well, that was one way to go with it...I guess."

The movie just lacked the tension that the first one thrived on. It especially lacked freaky scenes like walking through a pitch black apartment using the 2 second flash on your camera as your only source of light. God I love that scene!

All in all I would wait for the cheap seats or a rental at the store to see SAW II. They hopped far too quickly onto the success of the first one and rushed through the development of this story just to get it out by the next Halloween. Besides, November 1st is officially the beginning of Christmas. And nobody wants to see creative (but not that creative) ways for bad people to die very bad deaths at Christmas...except maybe Satan, who, by the way, has a cameo in the Exorcism of Emily Rose...and the new Harry Potter movie. At least that's what I heard.

If you still doubt me and say, "Oh Lance, you just loved the first one far too much to ever be satisfied by this more than decent horror flick," than you can lick my balls. And when you're done you can go watch SAW II and enjoy it just a little bit more than me because your expectations have now been lowered. I also suggest you go see it before rewatching the first one in order to lessen the expectations even more. Then if you are still disappointed you can watch the first SAW when you get home and feel satisfied.

2 Comments:

Blogger C-Lover said...

Thank you for the thorough critique, Mr. Morgan. I believe I will wait and rent it. Remember when we never had to rent movies? That was so great. Why do I have to pay for them now? Why?

2:51 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

you still alive?

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home