My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN, United States

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

You've Got a Friend in Me

First of all, I'd like to thank Woody and Buzz for the title of this blog. Thanks, guys! Second, I'd just like to say that I've been reading blogs and e-mails from all my blogger buddies and a few of them seem a bit down lately. I would personally like to dedicate this beautiful blog of happy thoughts to Ryan and Jean for all the shit they've been dealing with lately. I don't want to exclude all of my other friends out there. Yes, all two of them. I've just noticed the stress and worry levels of these two friends of mine have gone on too long. Something must be done. E-mails and voice mails just can't seem to do the trick since you're not actually talking to the person. Besides, these very good friends of mine took time to dedicate an entire blog to me on my birthday. It's the least I can do.

I lived with Ryan for almost the entire stint of my college career and don't remember a single fight between the two of us. That doesn't necessarily mean we didn't argue, it just means that he probably realized I was right and apologized eventually. The closest I ever felt to Ryan in those four bonding college years was when he trusted me enough to come out to me. I remember how scared/nervous he seemed and feeling so absolutely proud of him for being honest, and being himself. I asked him if he was worried that things would change and immediately responded with, "Because they won't. Instead of harassing you about this new 'girl' your seeing, I'll be harassing you about this new 'boy.'" And that was that. You showed me an integrity that is lacking in so many people these days, and as shy as I know you are you've still never had a problem discussing situations with the ones you love.

Less than two years later, Jean joined our house of cool (though not as cold as 416 1/2 Kansas Street). The closest I felt to Jean was the night Ryan showed me one of her boobs and I told her I saw nothing so she wouldn't be embarrassed...even though I dreamt about it later. Just kidding. The actual night I felt closest to Jean was when we stayed up until 4 in the morning talking and writing the best song that's ever been written in the history of songwriting. I think we all know it by now, though it changes every time it's played: The "E" Song!!! It was a great night with a lot of fun, and no alcohol. I know, right? I learned how strong of a woman you truly are. I learned that there was nothing you couldn't do once you decided it was something you absolutely wanted to happen. I learned you had a voice like a God damn bird and wished I got you to sing more. Most importantly, I learned that we were going to be friends for a very long time.

As mushy as this blog seems to be, it actually makes me feel good just reminiscing. Like the time I cut my pinky washing the cheapest glasses Wal-mart could find and you guys found me a tampon to stop the bleeding...and then took a picture of it before taking me to emergency room. That...was...AWESOME!!!! Now, let the mushiness continue:

Dear Ryan and Jean,

I just wanted to conclude by letting you know that I admire you and respect you both so much for what you have already acomplished in your lives. I'm so grateful for our friendship and miss hanging out with you very much. When you are sad, I am sad. So don't be sad. I absolutely miss movie marathons, stupid drinking games, bad guitar playing with even worse vocal accompaniment. Hell, I even miss the smell of Spaghetti-O's in the morning. But I know we'll see each other soon and that makes me happy. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that we are not alone (not in an X-Files sort of way). Just that we can always be there for each other, even when we're miles away. Here's to good time and cheesey blogs. At the very least, I hope I made you laugh.

Love,
Leonce, Lancey Fancey Pants, Lants in the Pants...Lance.

P.S. Whenever you are feeling down just look at this...and laugh uncontrollably.

4 Comments:

Blogger C-Lover said...

Oh Lance, did your blog lift my spirits today! Thank you so much. I truly mean it when I say that you were the best roommate ever! I am so blessed to have you as a friend. I really hope we can get together soon. I miss you!!!

Thanks again Buddy.

Fudge McSkinny out!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Jean. said...

ALMOST MADE ME CRY.

This is awkward, because I am in public. You've made me feel so much better.

Love you, Lance!

p.s. I am a better roommate than Ryan was.

p.p.s. One of my favorite memories is Ryan and I waiting up for you until four in the morning. Literally, sitting on the couch like two parents, wondering "Where is our little Lance! WHERE!"

Oh, and the movie marathon with the crappy "real death" movies--what the hell was that about?

Oh, and the Janet Jackson poster.

Just kidding, I hate that fucking poster and I hate that it was in my living room.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Jean. said...

CHRIST ON A CRACKER, UPDATE YOUR BLOG.

Because I miss you.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Kenton Finkbeiner said...

Hey, I just came to see your blog...

My first name is Kenton.... much like your middle name...

C-lover and I have been fostering quite a relationship at his blog... (dont tell him, he think's we're just friends ^_^)

Kenton

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home