My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, MN, United States

Monday, January 24, 2005

This Blog is Gay!

The what the Blog?! statement for this week is pretty gay. Literally. Again I'll have to start with a reference to Blockbuster and its intellectually amazing customers. This past week I received a phone call from a customer who wanted to, "make a comment about a movie." Ok? She had rented the movie De-Lovely which chronicles the life of Cole Porter who wrote show tunes for movies and plays in Hollywood. The customer kept saying she was not aware of "the content" of the film. Being the red blooded heterosexual male that I am, I assumed that because Ashley Judd was in the movie that there was nudity. Maybe she had a problem with other women's boobies. Lord knows I don't. I asked the customer if there was something wrong with the movie itself and she simply said that it was not what she had expected and that she did not care for..."The content" of the film.

I politely told her that Blockbuster does not refund money or give credit what-so-ever for a film simply because a customer did not like it. We didn't make the film and if she would've asked me what it was about I would have told it was the story of Cole Porter who wrote show tunes for films back in the day. I have not seen the movie nor did I know much more about Cole Porter. So that was all I could tell her. Perhaps she was thinking after she had told me what horrible thing was put into that movie I might find it in my God given heart to refund her money. Little did she know that I dislike ignorance of any sort. Finally, she got to her point.

She hesitantly said, "We didn't know it was about...homosexuality." As if saying the word was dirty in itself and I may take offense to hearing it. I did not take offense nor did I know what to say. Mostly because I didn't want to get fired. So, I reminded her that unless there was something wrong with the disc itself there was nothing I could do. What I wanted to do was tell her, "Well, if a movie is chronicalling the life of a man who wrote show tunes like Let's do it, let's fall in love there's a slight chance he could be gay." I also wanted to inform her that the movie itself was not about homosexuality, but rather about the life experiences of an extremely talented writer/musician...who happened to be bisexual. Further more, I would've loved to tell her, "Thank you for bringing that to my attention so that I may place a GAY warning label on the box in order to prevent the spread of homosexuality in the peaceful little town of Hudson, WI."

Now, the worst part about this story is that this was not the first time I had encountered homophobia at work. A few months earlier, a rather stoutly fellow had rented the 2 parts of Angels in America--the Tony Award winning play and Emmy Award winning movie series by Tony Kushner. When he returned them to the store I said, "Hello," and he said, "You need to take these movies off the shelf, throw them away and burn them!" I of course assumed that these movies must already be destroyed with scratches and fingerprints and what not. Again, my assumptions made an ass...out of him. Before I could ask him what the problem was, he told me: "They're about fagots!"

"That's fantastic," I thought and of course preceded to throwing the 2 discs in the trash and setting fire to them right there in the store just as he had requested. I shook his hand for saving my life and kissed him on the cheek for being an ignorant prick!

This has been a long, purging blog for me. I'd love to write more about this topic, but cannot do it tonight. Instead, I will leave you with the views of my customers and continue with my own thoughts at a later date. Thanks for reading. Please feel free to comment on this topic whether you know me personally or just came along this blog through curiosity and web surfing.

Peace out,
L-Kapitan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home